Helping Your Child Cope With Homework

10:21 AM

(0) Comments

I came across an interesting article in INQUIRER.net about parents who are hands-on in helping their children with their homework. It is written by Cathy Babao-Guballa.

Everyday, I remind my Grade 5 student to always thank God for his mom. His mom sends him to me after school during school days but they have a regular tutorial session every Saturday morning. I applaud his mom's efforts to help him in his studies considering that his mom is very busy with their business. As a tutor, I can only help a student with his studies for only an hour or so a day. I think that being taught by a parent brings off better results.

There are many tips in helping children deal with their homework that were pointed out in the said article. I choose not to add it here because of copyright policies so you just check the article out yourself by clicking here. I agree with the tips that were pointed out in the article. However, I would like to add the importance of modeling the importance of good study habits to our children, too. Most children, above anyone else, idolize their parents. I see that clearly in Ralph. He's already eight years old and most of his interests are influenced by his dad's interests. I guess with the limited time that they have with each other, he is trying hard to get my husband's approval of most things. When it comes to music, he agrees on my list of recent pop tunes.

Having said this, modeling also becomes a powerful tool in instilling the value of education and good study habits. Most parents may not be enrolled in graduate school at the moment but this does not restrict them in modeling diligence. We can read a worthwhile book while our children are reading their own school books so reading becomes an enjoyable bonding activity. We can exchange notes on what we have read afterward. Or we can make them feel how interested we are on their school activities and lessons by picking out an activity, say a TV viewing session, related to their lesson for the day. These simple things may unimportant but I strongly believe that they reap out good rewards in the end.

Mauie Flores

, ,

0 Responses to "Helping Your Child Cope With Homework"

Post a Comment